Archive

Archive for the ‘SEO’ Category

Back on top, kinda

April 12th, 2009

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

The other day I wrote about how my site got hacked, but thanks to a Google employee was slowly on the way back.  I checked my rankings this weekend and not only is my site ranking again for its main keyword, which is ace, but it is also in a higher position than it was before – I am now beating a Wikipedia entry I have been attempting to beat for ages!  It is really good news and im pretty happy but I’ll have to wait until next week to see what effect it has on my traffic, currently I am only receiving 50% of what I was before the hacking incident.  I’ll keep you all posted of the news as and when it happens.

Also, in other news
One of my first blog posts was about my aims for this blog, well I thought I would update you on these.  I now have 4 subscribers at the time of writing – which isn’t too bad for a blog of less than a week with no promotion [although I know 75% of them are friends lol] but every little helps!  I have also made some progress with the Adsense notifier program.  I have currently made a nice class that will connect to Google services, which is pretty cool as Google makes you jump through quite a few hoops before you can log in.  Anyway I can now log in and grab Adsense details, and the API I wrote should allow me to access any Google service too, which may have other applications in the future… Anyone have any uses for this?

Chris Google, SEO

The Google remove URL tool works… unfortunately!

April 10th, 2009

My most successful site earns me a nice amount each day and is continually growing, I have been working on it for almost 2 years now and still grows strongly month in month out.  If it continued to do so I would have been a very happy man.  However, last Thursday I noticed my site had completely dissappeared from google’s index.  It did not even show up when I ran a site:example.com command.  I put it down to an algorithm update and left it at that.  3 days later I was still no where to be seen and I really started to worry.

First things first I went into webmaster tools and attempted to find out what was going on, I noticed that google thought all my main pages, including the top level URL were restricted by robots.txt, apparently.  I quickly checked my robots.txt and saw nothing wrong and was stumped.

I then spent the next day googling around what I thought the issue could be and eventually stumbled across the a  google forum related to indexing issues.  I made a post and a few hours later had some helpful responses including one by a google employee who pointed out that a URL removal request had been sent to google a few months ago and last Thursday it actually happened! Who the hell did that! Thankfully the employee did some magic behind the scenes and within hours I had more google bot crawling than ever, by a massive factor.  I was back in the index and ranking highly the next day.  I am still not ranking for my main keyword, which pulls in 50% of my traffic, but I assume that will come with time.

I still don’t know who did it, all I can say is that I have now changed ALL my passwords.  People get hacked and I suggest you change your passwords too and I hope it never happens to you!!

Chris Google, SEO